Thursday, April 30, 2009

We're Smiling Now!

Avery started smiling this week. As of right now, it's mostly an accident when she does it. But earlier today, I did get her to smile in response to me talking to her. Amazingly enough, I managed to get these photos on Tuesday, when she wasn't smiling on purpose.

By the way, this is the first outfit we had for Avery. Nana bought it for her on a shopping trip out with Aunt Sandy. At the time, we were far away from 20 weeks, so she purchased both a girlie outfit and a little boy's ensemble. This is the first time she's worn it, and I happen to adore it. The navy blue in it matches her eyes perfectly.






Avery has learned some other new tricks in the past few weeks as well. The first thing we noticed her doing that was exciting to us was following our faces when we moved from side to side. Since then, it's become clear to me how much further away she can see. It's harder for me to sneek out of the room now because she keeps an eye on me at all times during the day. She's also learned how to fake cough. She likes to do this when she's getting fussy. This makes me laugh.

What isn't funny is her other latest discovery. She got so upset yesterday that she decided to hold her breath until she turned completely red. She did it for so long that it left little red dots around her face for the rest of the night. This was upsetting to all three of us. We think she scared herself, too. When she finally took a breath, she immediately calmed down and laid on my chest (then went to sleep). We hope to not have to see that last trick again.

Anyhow, I just thought I'd give you some insight into how Avery is growing. After her shot 2 Fridays ago, she had a low-grade fever every night (and was very fussy) for about 10 days. Her nursing routine was also thrown off. Since then, she's finally started getting back into her self-imposed nighttime schedule. She's nice enough to give me 3-4 hour stretches between nursings during the early morning hours.

We're still working on sleeping as much in the bassinet during the day as she does on me. It doesn't matter that I wait until she's been sleeping for a while, she's on to me most of the time and knows what's up as soon as her body hits the mattress. And then she's awake again and we do it all over in hopes that this time will be successful. In the meantime, I've purchased a Maya wrap sling and am learning how to wear it so that I can at least get something done during the day, whether she's in her bassinet or not.

Well, that's good for now. I think you have a good idea of how things are going at Casa Reagin right now. We're completely head over heels in love with this little girl and wish you all could see her more. At least we have the blog!

Have a great weekend!

No comments: