Friday, June 26, 2009

3 Month Check-Up





Well, the doctor's appointment went way better than I anticipated. First things first, Avery now weighs 12 pounds 4 ounces and is 23 inches long. Dr. Ballay said she looks beautiful and 'has nothing to complain about' as far as how Avery is growing and progressing. She noticed how much Ave is drooling, so we took the opportunity to ask about that again. She said that babies don't typically teethe until 6 months, but Avery could be one of those that does it earlier. More than likely though, it's just her salivary glands getting ready for food.

And then came the shots. This visit, she had to get two. Right when we got to the office, we gave Ave some Tylenol, which proved to be great timing. The nurse administered the shots and, as expected, Avery's face went completely red and she began wailing instantly. I can't even explain the look in her eyes, but I'm sure all you parents out there know exactly which one I'm talking about. As soon as I could, I picked her up and cuddled her, then Ed gave her the pacifier. And oh my, what a difference a pacifier can make! She started to calm down right away.

Before we left the office, I nursed her in the nursing room and she fell asleep. She continued to sleep while we were putting her into her carrier, and then she slept the whole way home. The night was fairly uneventful (a far cry from the last time she got shots), until the Tylenol wore off. She let us know right away once that had happened. Lots of crying with real tears. We calmed her down though, gave her some more Tylenol, and rocked her back to sleep.

So that was our day on Tuesday. Much better than I expected (which is good, because we have to get even more shots next month).

I hope your weekend is wonderful - we don't have a lot planned, which is lovely. Will try to update again within a week.

No comments: