Monday, March 29, 2010

Fun from Our 13th Month


Well, All, I thought I'd put a posting out there. Ed, Avery, and I had a nice weekend at home. For once, we didn't have any commitments going into it. In fact, the only time we left the house was to go to the grocery store on Saturday. I'd say we spent half the time cleaning and the other half being utterly lazy. It was wonderful.

Let's see, what's up with us lately... the biggest thing, I guess, revolves around Ave's 12-month visit at the pediatrician's. Her stats pretty much stayed right on par for her: she's 15 pounds 6 ounces and 28 inches tall, the 15th percentile for height. Unfortunately, she's officially fallen off the charts for weight (although her last stats were only in the 2nd percentile). While she looks great - and her ped. even stated as much - because she really hasn't gained weight in the past 6 months, Dr. Ballay wants us to try to chunk her up a bit. And of course, Aunt Marty was nice enough to give us a second opinion on the matter. So right now, we're supposed to be increasing her caloric intake with more high fat foods and trying to get her to eat more solids in general. Luckily for us, Ave's loves to eat now, so this isn't too troublesome a task. (It may seem like a strange thing to worry about, but everything with solids and nursing has been going really great for the past couple of months and I don't want to mess anything up; plus, I really think Avery is exactly how she should be, and I'm very reluctant to attempt to change her.)

In other news, Avery taught herself to nod 'yes' last month. We had absolutely nothing to do with it, and we were completely surprised by the new skill (I didn't even realize that Ed and I nod regularly enough that she would learn it). But we love it all the same! In fact, we use every possible opportunity we can to make her answer us with her adorable head and shoulders nod.

Even more recently, she learned the sign for milk. Here's the thing though, she thinks that if she nods 'yes' that that means I'll nurse her. So every time she randomly nods for seemingly no reason, Ed and I try really hard to get her to use her sign without prompting it. It's a really cute process.

What else... oh, she rediscovered her bouncy seat (that also serves as a rocker for toddlers), and absolutely loves to climb into it. Unfortunately, she loves to stand in it, too, so we have to watch her like a hawk whenever she goes near it.

She's also recently began really enjoying eskimo kisses. While she doesn't prompt them on her own, if I start giving them to her, she'll either nod 'yes' for more or thrust her nose in my face to keep me giving them. There's nothing cuter right now!

And finally, we had a playdate on Wednesday at a park and Ave's went down a slide for the first time (assisted, of course!). She definitely enjoyed it - you could see it all over her face. She even made a new friend, who was at least 4 or 5, that liked going down the tandem slides with her. It was so precious watching them together. We were even able to bring our new Maclaren stroller - compliments of Ed's delta points - to the park with us for it's first official use outside of our neighborhood.

Okay, enough for now. I hope you all had a great weekend and that it didn't go by too fast. And as always, enjoy the pics!

Like I said, she loves to eat!
The babies at Liam's birthday party (the girls were wondering, 'what's wrong with him?').
Avery loves the puzzles from Aunt Marty so much that she figured out how to crawl under her dresser to get to them!
 Avery found Mommy's necklaces!
 
Ave's going down the slide with her new friend Audrey (who she'll probably never see again!).

No comments: