Tuesday, September 16, 2008

One Trimester Down... Two to Go!

So last week was a rough week for us, which is why we didn't post. Rosie had an unwanted, unscheduled playdate with Finn while we were at the grocery store the Sunday before last, and things did not go well for her. Finn didn't physically hurt her, but the vet described what happened as a mental breakdown resulting from trauma (this did not reinforce our confidence in our parenting, that's for sure).

She was hospitalized from Tuesday morning until Saturday night. She just layed on her side, refused to even lift her head or acknowledge our presence when we were right in front of her, and wouldn't eat or drink. I went to visit her on Thursday night and she was laying with her head in the back corner of the cage and had the most depressing vacant look in her eyes - she wasn't even Rosie. This had us convinced that she would not be coming home. They had begun force-feeding her as well (we like to call it syringe-feeding though - it sounds more pleasant).

Well, on Saturday evening when we went in, expecting the worst, she perked up when I got to the front of her cage and walked towards me. She was nuzzling my purse to get more affection and just seemed more like Rosie again. So we took her home. We're still working on getting her to eat by herself (she will occasionally eat a tiny bit on her own). Feeding her round-the-clock every three hours is turning out to be really good practice for March, I must say. Every day, we take her back to the vet for them to board and feed her while we're at work. This is still a work in progress. We're playing it by ear, hoping she'll start eating normally again in the very near future. But she is doing considerably better now. We'll keep everyone posted on how it goes.

Now, here's the good news. First, we finally finished the new bookshelves (yay!) They look so good! We do still need to go back to IKEA and purchase the glass doors for the middle cases (better for when baby comes), but I think they really add to the living room. By looking at that room, it actually looks like grown, responsible adults live in our house!



Second, and even more important: Ed and I had my doctor's visit this morning. Not only am I officially through with the first trimester (as of last Saturday), but WE HEARD THE BABY'S HEARTBEAT!!! We even recorded it on my cell phone, thanks to the thoughtful advice of my midwife. So Ed's trying to get it uploaded onto the blog for the few people that would be excited by that news. I have another appointment in 4 weeks in which I'll hear the heartbeat again, and then... six weeks from today, we'll go in and find out what the gender of the baby is! That's October 30th for those of you who are keeping track.

On a sidenote, Terra's blog had me all worried that I'd go in and they'd weigh me, then promptly ask, 'What are you eating!?!' But in today's case, I actually lost weight from the last time I was there. Guess all that fresh-cut fruit, juice, milk, frozen pizza, Snickers mini ice cream bars, and Italian Ice has been serving baby and I well!

That is plenty for now. Will try to blog more at the end of the week to make up for last week. Have a good one!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

MamaNana said...

It was very exciting to hear the newest addition of our family live and in person (sort of)! I can't wait for the October 30th visit so I can start shopping with a focus. Thanks for sharing!
Love, Nana to be for Baby Reagin.

Anonymous said...

Love the blog, love the baby, and love the parents to be! I'm so impressed that some people in the family are so good with technology.
Love, Grandma to be for Baby Reagin.

RememberaTitan said...

Katie, Ed,
Keep the updates coming. They're a neat way for you to keep everyone in the loop. All the best to you THREE :) Love you and can't wait to see you during Thanksgiving!
-Aunt Sarah

Terra said...

Thanks Katie for reminding everyone that I gained a lot of weight at one visit! It really wasn't bad, I stayed right at the recommended weight gain of 35 pounds, and I only have 12 more to get rid of!
Glad everything is going well! And I love to read about someone elses pregnancy!
Love you all
Terra